More wisdom from our partners at Vistelar
Program Design, the foundation of excellent training programs:
Years ago, I(Gary Klugiewicz) had an extremely valuable discussion about Training Program Design with Danny Rosa from the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards. He concisely explained how to implement successful training programs. He stated that Programs Standards require that you:
1. mandate outcomes that explain what you want to accomplish,
2. recommend strategies for accomplishing your outcome, and
3. allow for creatively within guidelines to allow your staff to experience success in the real world while still outlining guidelines for appropriate application of strategies for accomplishing your stated outcomes.
The Vistelar conflict management program utilizes Danny Rosa’s System Design Concept in its Verbal Defense & Influence training program.
It mandates outcomes of managing conflict in its guiding principle of “Treating People with Dignity by Showing them Respect.”
It recommends strategies through the eleven points of the Non-escalation De-escalation Card.
1.0 Treat with Dignity and Show Respect
2.0 Be Alert & Decisive / Respond, Don’t React
3.0 Showtime Mindset
4.0 Proxemics 10 5 2
5.0 Universal Greeting
6.0 Beyond Active Listening
8.0 Persuasion Sequence
9.0 Crisis Intervention
10.0 Take Appropriate Action
Program Design, the foundation of excellent training programs. its Justifiable Technique Conce.pt
1. “trained (technique)” or
2. “a dynamic application of (a trained) technique” or
3. “not trained” but justifiable under the circumstances
You may want to take the time to use Danny Rosa’s Program Design Concept to evaluate your own training programs. The Vistelar has utilized this concept to improve our training programs. We suggest that you do the same.