Manage Violence and Aggression
Hospital and Healthcare Services
Managing the violent patient or visitor starts with your Social Contract, Conflict Management skills and Teamwork to control or restrain violent conduct.
Your trusted partner in making your UAE (GCC) hospital or clinic a safer place for everyone.
Dynamis has a long history of helping healthcare organisations in the UAE (and GCC) to enable their teams to create a safe, caring and secure environment in their services.
- more than 15 years experience working in the UAE context
- UK-based and up-to-date, complying with the tightly regulated environment for best-practice
- advising about policy, stakeholders and Emirati cultural issues for behaviour management
- including an in-depth understanding of UAE penal code and labour law
- broad based, from specific holds to behaviour planning
"In the emergency department of a hospital in Dubai, staff faced the challenge of managing the risks posed by violent drug seekers. These individuals often presented a danger to themselves and others, and staff needed to be prepared to manage these situations safely.
To address this issue, the hospital partnered with a personal safety and conflict management training company, Dynamis. Staff underwent training on how to recognize the early warning signs of aggression and violence, as well as how to use de-escalation techniques to prevent escalation. They also learned how to use physical interventions safely and effectively to manage violent or aggressive behavior.
The training had a significant impact on the safety of the emergency department. Staff reported feeling more confident in their ability to handle difficult situations, and they were better prepared to prevent and respond to potential safety risks. As a result of the training, incidents involving violent drug seekers were reduced to zero.
Overall, the training provided by Dynamis was instrumental in making the emergency department in Dubai safer from aggression and violence. By equipping staff with the knowledge and skills to manage risk and conflict effectively, the hospital was able to create a safer and more secure environment for both staff and patients."
We have been training in the UAE since 2008, bringing modern and relevant approaches to the management of concerning behaviours to UAE healthcare services:
- DHA at Al Jalila Childrens Hospital
- DHA at Rashid Hospital Emergency Department
- SEHA at Al Ain Hospital Behavioural Sciences Unit (mental health)
- Mediclinic Parkview Emergency Department (patient satisfaction)
- Erada Clinic for drug/alcohol rehabilitation
Training in aggression management which is specific to the UAE and GCC context.
The training provided by Dynamis helps UAE and GCC healthcare professionals to manage risk and conflict and develop practical strategies for dealing with difficult situations. Through the use of scenario-based training, UAE and GCC healthcare professionals learn how to recognize the early warning signs of aggression and violence and use de-escalation techniques to prevent escalation. They also learn how to use physical interventions safely and effectively to manage violent or aggressive behavior.
Many UAE nurses and doctors are dealing with visitors and patients who have high expectations, are anxious, worried and stressed and who may become abusive, intimidating or even violent during their visit to the clinic or hospital.
The training has had a significant impact on the safety of healthcare services in the UAE. Healthcare professionals who have completed the training report feeling more confident in their ability to handle difficult situations and better prepared to prevent and respond to potential safety risks. The training has also helped to improve communication and collaboration among healthcare professionals, which has been crucial in ensuring their safety and well-being while on the job.
Example Core Scenarios - you may have a visitor or patient in your hospital who is:
- Simply confused about something
- Hesitating to comply, needs encouragement
- Complaining about service
- Refusing to Follow the Rules
- Threatening and Abusive
- Presenting a real danger to safety
Using these core scenarios as examples, we lead your hospital clinical and non-clinical learners through exercises where they must use elements of the Non-Escalation, De-Escalation and Crisis Management methods and select the appropriate strategies to meet the situation.
Treating People with Dignity and Showing Respect is a core value.
However, many staff will depend on on-the-job training or their natural talents to get through difficult encounters. Without expert input, reassuring them of their efforts, burnout is more likely.
Be Alert to Triggers - Anticipate Needs
Depending on the specific needs of your UAE healthcare provision, Dynamis can provide training which is fit-for-purpose and addresses the risks you have identified in your healthcare service.
- Using a map to visualise conflict and violence incident progressions
- Identifying core influencers for human behaviour – triggers and cues
- Core values and professional presence for non- and de-escalation
- Body Language, Tone, Gesture and Barriers in Crisis Communications
- De-Escalation principles and practice using service-specific scenarios
- Instinctive Protection and Natural Strengths of the Body
- Last-Resort Control phase interventions
- Safe, Considered approaches to Restraint and Holding
- The practice and processes in Effective Teamwork
- Post-Incident Review and Recording
"If we don't tell staff what to say, we can't be surprised by what comes out of their mouths" - but many leaders wish their staff could handle conflict early and confidently, stopping escalation of situations and the need for management interventions at a later stage.
Three Phases of Conflict
You want to stop things early before people become upset, or to deal with them when they are already upset in order to resolve the situation peacefully. Sometimes, you'll need to realise someone is in crisis and know how to work as a team, with your procedures, to keep everyone safe.
Non-Escalation - resolving everyday encounters without setting off people's triggers
De-Escalation - resolving higher-stakes encounters when people are feeling angry, upset, disappointed.
Crisis Management - knowing what to do, as a team, to keep everyone safe when people are acting dangerously.
We teach conflict management for the UAE (GCC) context:
- How to treat people with dignity by showing respect
- Five approaches for showing ALL people respect
- How to maintain emotional equilibrium in the face of abuse or intimidation
- How to not set off the conflict triggers of other people
- How to develop a social contract for treating people right at your hospital
- Gateway behaviours of violence, abuse and intimidation
- Using distance, positioning and hand placement to stay safe
- How to initiate contact for the best possible first impression
- How to go beyond active listening to enhance empathy
- How to redirect verbal abuse and intimidation
- How to influence a person towards the right decisions
- How to work as a team in a crisis situation
- What to do when words alone fail
- How to close an interaction to achieve the best possible outcome
UAE Hospital conflict training which will have lasting positive impact on your team...
Conflict Training using content from our partner Vistelar, brings together learning methodologies and training content for conflict management.
Through a range of training experiences, together we bring about these outcomes for our clients:
- Higher levels of customer satisfaction
- Improved team performance, morale and safety
- Reduced complaints, liabilities and injuries
- Protected reputation, culture and business continuity
- Reduced harm from emotional and physical violence
- Decreased stress levels, lateral violence and bullying
- Less compassion fatigue, absenteeism and turnover
- Not having a damaging video appear on YouTube or the evening news
These training programs address the period from before an interaction begins through to the consequences of how an interaction is managed, which includes non-escalation, de- escalation, and crisis management tactics.
Most importantly, we teach how to prevent conflict from occurring in the first place.
The program emphasizes non-escalation tactics because we realized years ago that it’s always better to prevent GP Surgery and Pharmacy Conflict from occurring than to deal with its aftermath.
Creating Safer Workplaces since 2006
Your team learn in a scenario-driven approach
Because of our unique training methodology which focusses on YOUR service, YOUR people and YOUR children - the training programme develops understanding, decision-making and skills together and in-context. Your team will learn skills and understanding which will more-easily transfer to working with your children in your context and make it safer for everyone.
Your teams will model and practice appropriate verbal skills for preventing and de-escalating conflict with Patients and Visitors.
Your team will develop their awareness of vulnerable Patient behaviour and the ways in which situations can trigger distress, anger or emotional disturbance.
Teamwork during incidents
Your team will have to work together to solve problems, learning along the way how to think and to communicate as a team with the Person at the centre.
Self-Protection (where necessary)
Your team will be challenged to develop personal safety habits and perform robust, appropriate self-protection tactics in many different scenarios where a Person may be at risk of hurting them.
Legal Rules for Restrictive Practice
Your team will reflect on the legal basis for their actions, based on guidance for working with Patients and Visitors - also assisting in effective reporting.
Restraint Reduction Principles
Your team will be challenged to embody restraint-reduction principles in each scenario they work through and thinking in a Person-centred way.
Holding Skills (where necessary)
Your team will develop flexible skills to perform safe holding, control or restraint appropriately to the level of risk and the vulnerability of the Person they engage with.
We visit YOUR premises to train YOUR team
UAE Hospital Conflict
With the help of academic colleagues at Loughborough University, we are continually developing enhanced learning design methodology which ensures that your training budget is spent on best-value activities. Our training is therefore:
- 1EMOTIONALLY SAFE - delivered in a supportive environment where effort and engagement are rewarded and in which difficulty is seen as a necessary step towards mastery of target content.
- 2CONTEXTUALISED TO WORKPLACE SCENARIOS - focuses on exploring the complete picture of the most common flashpoint scenarios which are familiar to your team’s experience of the workplace.
- 3PRACTICE-BASED - your team are repeatedly faced with and engaged in work-like encounters and incidents on which their individual and team performance is assessed from multiple points-of-view.
What People Are Saying About Our Hospital Conflict Training
"I’d just like to take this opportunity to thank you for a first class course, both in delivery and content. The level of instruction was easy to follow, constructive and backed up by rationale, current best practice and legislation. This is definitely the ‘gold’ standard as far as I’m concerned and something as an organisation we need to aspire to."
Security Management Specialist (SMS)
- South West Region
Established in 2006, since 2017 Dynamis has been a Quality Award Centre with the Institute of Conflict Management (QAC#2201) which provides independent assessment and verification of our high Quality Assurance Standards.
Gerard O’Dea, our Director of Training, also holds the ICM Physical Skills Tutor Award (ICM L324 # 5488T) which provides independent quality assurance, evidence, verification and recognition of the award holders’ expertise, knowledge and qualifications in physical skills tuition.
Our Partners and Accreditation
MEMBER OF THE INSTITUTE OF
Dynamis is a Quality Award Centre with the ICM, a recognised accrediting body in the U.K. for workplace training in the prevention and management of workplace violence.
EUROPEAN PARTNER FOR
Dynamis is the premier European Partner for Vistelar, a global consulting organisation covering training across the entire spectrum of human conflict.
Safety Without compromise
Dynamis has been audited by the SWC expert panel and found to provide a 5-star safe, secure and caring training programme.